Saturday, March 15, 2008

getting kicked out

many years ago, when i was 9 years old, i wanted to be a girl scout. i hounded my mother, insisted on joining a troop, and in general, made it clear i wanted nothing more than to Belong - to something, to anything. that experiment in social communion ended badly when the leader asked my mother to remove me three weeks after i joined. i was, in her opinion, an insurrectionist. to this day, i don't remember what it was i did or said, but i do remember we spent a lot of time at the meetings making turkeys out of magazines. and i do remember being bored.

fast forward to nearly forty years later, and last summer i found myself compelled to join a coffee group. i liked all the ladies, except perhaps the Organizer of the group - an evangelical christian lady named of all things - lili. as in lilith, as in lily-white, as in mrs munster. when she casually let it slip at one meeting that there were ladies she'd not approved for membership, my antenna went up, but all the ladies were nice ladies and so i set my feelings aside.

just yesterday all the cosi girls received an email from lili. i am generally offended by political emails. this one i found particularly offensive because she uses it to invoke fear. fear has no place in the political arena. at least, not in the one i insist on.

in the interests of full disclosure, i have copied and pasted the emails here. the bold ones are hers; the italicised are mine.

LAdies,
I don't usually get this involved, but in this case some things need to be explored very seriously. This is one of those "things". Quite Scary.


Obama's Pastor - Political Machine

Lili

Center for Cog Therapy
xxx West Main Street
xxxx, CT xxxxx
Email: TeenPsycho@xxx.com


dear lili - i have to say i am very disappointed that a person of your education would stoop to passing along such internet tripe. i dont care what obama's religion is - or anyone else's - for that matter. i am quite capable of making up my own mind and i have already read and judged this to be the worst kind of politically motivated fear-mongering. i refuse to be scared into - or out of - voting for anyone. please let's leave politics out of the cosi girls group. sincerely, annie kelleher

Annie,
you were not at the Cosi girls meeting where I was, but in fact,politics was openly discussednot by me in fact. That opened the door for me to feel comfortable doing same.Thank you for your honesty. I also recall another Cosi girl sending me an article about ilegal immigrants and I was not at all offended.
Lili

Center for Cog Therapy
xxx West Main Street
xxxx, CT xxxxx
Email: TeenPsycho@xxx.com


then she realized i sent my response to the group.

Dear Annie,
To insult my education is really offensive. Particularly as you felt the need to do this in front of others. You have pulled the group into a personal issue with me and I would like an apology... a public apology...
Lili

Center for Cog Therapy
xxx West Main Street
xxxx, CT xxxxx
Email: TeenPsycho@xxx.com


dear lili - this isn't a personal issue at all. you sent this to the group, and i sent the group my response. i dind't insult your education. i do expect well-educated and professional people to exercise a bit more discernment when it comes to spreading political propaganda via the internet. (it's why i don't send any.)

i don't see that i have anything to apologize for. if you didn't like my response - i didn't like what you sent in the first place. i don't see why, if you sent this to the group, i shouldn't make my response known to the group. silence implies consent. if the group didn't hear from me, they might think - heaven forfend - i agreed with it, or, even more to the point - the spreading of it, which is what i really object to....sincerely, annie


Annie,
I will not let anyone talk to me in the manner that you have. Its nasty, arrogant and uncivlized and totally misinterpreted Therefore consider yourself removed from the Cosi group.
Lili


Center for Cog Therapy
xxx West Main Street
xxxx, CT xxxxx
Email: TeenPsycho@xxx.com


political spam - no matter how well-intentioned - does nothing, in my opinion, but muddy up an already poisoned process. if speaking out against behavior i consider despicable and rude, is nasty, arrogant, and uncivilized, then long may my inner insurrectionist reign.

and furthermore the war must end. blessed be.

3 comments:

Stacie said...

Unbelievable! I can't believe how grossly she misinterpreted your response. And even more disturbing is that she kicked you out for disagreeing with her, and that she alone has the power to kick you out. Are you going to leave quietly, or not?

ravensedge said...

Wow! I think you overstated her high education. From her initial e-mail to her responses she demonstrates ignorance at its worse. Huray for you for speaking your truth to all and not compromising yourself!

Kathy said...

Forget her, she's trash.