Sunday, June 20, 2010

the elegance of the hedgehog

...is a novel about a woman who at first glance is quite ordinary - so ordinary most people would look right through her. but renee michel, the conceierge of an upscale apartment building in paris, has a secret that only the most perceptive sense. intelligent, witty and compassionate, renee is so much more than she appears to be, and the juxtaposition between who we really are, who people think we are, and who we pretend to be forms the nexis of this most moving story.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (europa, 2008) is an extrordinary novel about ordinary people who are extraordinary in unexpected ways. i laughed out loud - so loudly, in fact, i was glad i was alone while i was reading - and then wept buckets at the end. i enjoyed it so much, i devoured it in a day. however, i know its one of those increasingly rare books that i will reread again and again.

and furthermore, the war will end. blessed be.




Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thank you for sharing this. I've been anxious for some fresh fiction and now I'll have to give this a read.

Kathy said...

I'm going to have to get that one. Thank you.

Patti Gibbons said...

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you considered hooking up with Amazon for such referrals? Might bring in some extra money. Just a thought. I am thinking of it too. patti

Kim said...

thanks, I need some new summer reading

Allison said...

I have heard that this is a great read. Thank you for reminding me of it!

Bonnie said...

Sounds like a book I need to read.Have tried to leave a comment a few times with no luck. Thanks for sharing this...going to go find a copy soon.

Unknown said...

Love reading book reviews. I just wrote a book myself!