Saturday, January 5, 2008

fluid structure

one of the challenges i set for myself last year was to figure out how to better manage my time. writing demands that i frequently find myself in that world-without-time. but my children, my puppies, my gardens, my house, Beloved and my friends are all (mostly) firmly grounded to the world-within-time, and their needs, as well as my own physical needs and emotional needs have to be met on that plane.

it took me a long time to understand that this delicate Stepping-In and Stepping-Out is my daily dance, that it's easier to step-In, and not so easy to step-Out. and so last year, i decided i needed to create a way to manage what i consider to be my most precious of resources - my time.

the one tool i created is a weekly spreadsheet. the other is a daily pattern of hours modelled on the medieval-monastic schedule of ritual worship and work. the third tool i rely on is a timer. when i function within this framework, i can accomplish an amazing amount, both Within and Without. my goal this year is to adhere to this fluid structure more attentively, to fill more fully each intended task and hour, so that like a double helix, the patterns of my days unspool, a wheel within a wheel, the timer replacing the monastery's bell.

and furthermore, the war must end. blessed be.

No comments: