Sunday, December 23, 2007

let the Game begin

...and we're off.

i like the timing of the holidays this year. with christmas coming on a tuesday, and the solstice on friday, i got to indulge my Self first, with plenty of time in between for last-minute prep, not to mention the able assistance of two very competent and well-trained Elves. an early thanksgiving and my brother's visit gave me a jump on holiday cleaning and decorating. cooking a turkey dinner for fourteen gave me an opportunity to run through menus, try new dishes, and create three days worth of menus for my mother-in-law's visit.

sometimes i forget how good i am at things like this.

my sister called a few minutes ago. she'll be stopping in tomorrow morning on her way to my mother's with her husband and my nephew and niece. the turkey is roasting, the fruit cake, pineapple upside down cake and pear tea bread are baked. tonight's menu is a mini-reprise of thanksgiving that includes turkey, stuffing, gravy, smashed potatos, baby peas, cranberry sauce and rolls. tomorrow i make apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake (a hit from thanksgiving) and birthday cake. i'll use the leftover turkey to make pot pie for dinner.

the Elves are foraging for the last presents as i write this. my mother in law is snoozing on the couch. even Beloved has gone to take a nap. on this winter afternoon, with the dogs sacked out on the sofa, and the house filled with warmth and sweet and savory smells.... i think i'll join him. ;)

and furthermore, the war must end. blessed be.

No comments: