Sunday, April 5, 2009

lost in space

i'm not sure who turned the lights off or what exactly happened. one day i was blogging along, happy as a clam on a cloudy day, and the next thing i know, BLAM - my blogging mind goes dark.

where'd i go, and what happened? my original intention was to take my birthday off. i was going to relax, catch up on comments, read my favorite blogs. it was supposed to be a laid-back, relaxing sort of day, and it WAS. it was a perfect birthday, and as it turned out, in more ways than one.

it began innocently enough - i was asked to write a one-page synposis of my current work-in- progress. so late on the morning of my birthday, i opened a new word-document and decided to get started. i thought of it as a fun exercise - i'm seasoned enough that the word synopsis doesn't paralyze me. it was just for a workshop, not for my agent or an editor, and so, with a song in my heart and the sun in the sky, i began to type as i've done a trillion times before.

and that's when it happened, as i was least expecting it.

an Idea occured to me - a tiny plot twist that ratchets up the tension and puts my poor main character's head in a thumb screw. the Writer in me shouted "hallelujah!".... the writer in me wailed "but this CHANGES stuff!"

ever-resistant, i felt my Self flung back and forth between the two poles of Delight and Dismay, and then, like a hapless trapeze artist who misses the cue, found myself plunged ass-over-teakettle back into the Story.

so that's where i've been... hijacked by my Muse, all the back to the beginning. i knew she was sneaky but i never expected THIS. i'm up to page 15 in the current rewrite. thank you so much to all the sweet people who took the time to check up on me either by leaving a comment here or sending me an email. i feel bad that i worried you!! next time i will leave a note... GONE WRITIN'.

and the synopsis that started it all? i thought you might enjoy the first paragraph...

Evie Alexander thinks she has the perfect life – a satisfying career, a supportive husband, great kids. When a psychic tells Evie that an old boyfriend is looking for her, it’s the last thing Evie wants to hear…especially this particular boyfriend, who wasn’t just the first boy Evie fell in love with. He’s the boy who fathered the child she bore all alone in Baltimore during her freshman year of college, and gave up for adoption, a child about whom none of her family or friends knows anything - including her mother, her husband of 25 years, her other five children and her best friend.

and furthermore, the war will end. blessed be.

20 comments:

Kathy said...

I can't wait. Well, I can and will, but you know what I mean. :)

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

I've truly missed you Annie and....hey NO FAIR luring me in with first paragraph. Now I want to read the whole thing.
Maybe you just needed a little sabbatical?? We all do sometimes.
(I've tried to e-mail you at that aol address but it will never go through. Please tell me....did they get all of that melanoma out of my gland?? They said they did and this Chemo is precautionary. You were so right last time and I just respect your third eye lady).
I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better and I hope that you had an awesome birthday with Beloved.

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Kim said...

I can't wait to read it.

Laura Rose said...

It's just not the same without you here!!!!

Dina said...

can't wait to read the final product! i am happy to be sharing sunday sited and blogged with you too...also i am doing Goddess in the Spotlight interviews weekly. You are on my list, in the next few weeks if you would honor me with an interview I will be sending questions your way.

Crazee Juls said...

ooh...the plot thickens. Love it! :) Glad to see you were just "gone writin" Ass-over-teakettle is hilarious

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I'm so glad all is well and sending my best for you and your Muse! I hope you enjoyed the chocolate. ((Hugs))

Amy said...

I was just thinking the other day I had not read anything from you in awhile. Glad you got a break. Yeah for your new writing you have going on.

Allison said...

Hurray, she lives. Glad to hear the rewrite has taken you by storm. Welcome back.

The Skinny B said...

Glad you are back. I was a bit worried about youas you dropped in my blog roll. I kindof figured you were lost in the writing though. The teaser sounds great!

Anonymous said...

That definitely sounds interesting! You have to write when the spirit moves you. But yes, put up a gone writing note next time! :)

Carol J. said...

Good to know you're ok. I was thinking you were off lollygagging and running amok just because you had turned 50!

lynette355 said...

good to hear from ou
muses will do that to you sneaky and all
just like the teaser you dropped

keep writing and drop a note every now and then

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Hijacked by your Muse ... I expected as much!

Grace said...

It is so nice to see you back, Annie. We miss you.
I noticed that you got a new blog, it's the title of your book. I'll check on it. :)

Aunt Julie said...

Annie...I'm really happy for you. And a very belated birthday to you, too. Sounds like you got the best b-day present of all!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Sounds great!! Keep going!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! You are back... with a great first paragraph too! Sometimes I think we need a little break to let our minds flow and come up with new ideas.

Lily Wyte said...

I just love being hijacked by the muse!! Have fun with it:)

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

When the Muse comes a calling, you just hold tight and enjoy the ride!

I want more!!!