Monday, December 29, 2008

narrowing the gap

by working backward in story time - from the end to the place where i am now, i have a firmer grip on size of the gap. and in fact, my subconscious seems to be as capable of working backwards in time as forwards - as i've pushed on through the linear beginning to end arc, the backwards arc has grown to meet it.

in other words, where i initially had to fill in story time from sunday after until thursday evening, now the gap has shrank from monday morning til wednesday afternoon. it all feels amazingly organic, the characters feel as they have minds - goddess bless them - of their own. it helps tremendously when the characters take over a story. thats when all i have to do is type. my word count stands at just under 47,800 words.

and furthermore, the war must end. blessed be.

7 comments:

Laura Rose said...

I cannot believe how fast the words are adding up!!! Woohoo...keep following your bliss & of course the urgings of those chatty characters!

Mindy said...

Oooh how exciting! I can feel you excitement shining off the page =)

I am really enjoying Silver's Edge. I think my favorite character is Delphinea. She is exactly like I would like to be =) It's beautifully written...

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

It is a wonderful thing to view time and space as fluid and for you to enter into this "flow" with your characters.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

How exciting!

Anonymous said...

I'm learning so much by following the inner workings of your novel writing. Thanks for sharing the process.

Aunt Julie said...

Wow. And I feel like I've accomplished something when I can push out a mere 350 words or so...Good for you!

lynette355 said...

that is what all the successful writers say
just let the characters tell the story
they are alive and just trying to get out anyway!