Sunday, August 30, 2009

all her bags are packed...

im not sure if meg's ready to go but a plane just flew overhead. im thinking that's a Sign.

will you miss me, mommy, asked meggie wistfully, my baby who i recognised from birth as being so much like me.

honey, i said gently, you're 22.

it's not that i won't miss her... it's that i know it's time for her to go. every fledgling has to fly. i'm lucky, in that my love for solitude and space means that i anticipate my empty nest more than a lot of other women i know. and now that i've been a mother for nearly 30 years, i've come to understand that this is a job that never really ends - the breaks just get longer.

and furthermore, the war will end. blessed be.

4 comments:

lynette355 said...

yeah CG is 22 and loves to leave the nest. me, alas, loves her here. i have a harder time with the apron stings being cut. but as you do say, they must spread their wings to soar.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Love you.

Amy said...

I left when I was 21. It was sad but I still love my Mom. Life does sure change a lot.

Crazee Juls said...

Good luck to both of you in your new found freedom :)....I don't think I'll take it as well as you ...but I have a few years...so time will tell. :)