Monday, August 3, 2009

pride and prejudice...

...and zombies (by jane austen and seth grahame-smith, Quirk Books, 2009).

they'll publish anything these days, sniffed the bookstore clerk.

from your mouth to god's ear, i thought, as i shrugged in answer. since according to the facebook quiz i took a few months ago, i have a 98% chance of surviving a zombie apocalypse, i was hoping to get an idea of what i could be in for.

leaving aside the question of the desecration of a classic - that clerk apparently never read the miserable excuse for a story the publisher had the audacity to call the sequel to Gone With the Wind - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a wildly funny romp through two wildly divergent types of literature. from the moment the Bennet sisters band together in their well-choreographed Pentagram of Death and slice through a horde of zombies which have invaded a ball, i was hooked.

elizabeth doesn't just prove she has wit, she proves she can keep her wits when confronted by shambling "unmentionables" and the act which seals our hero and heroine's love isn't a kiss, but a fight against a group of zombies who've stumbled into a cauliflower field and have mistaken the cauliflower for brains.

this was one of those books that i couldn't read in public because it made me laugh out loud too much.

and furthermore, the war will end. blessed be.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sounds like my kind of book. I'm going to have to check this one out.

Crazee Juls said...

Mistaking cauliflower for brains? Crazee Zombies-- ALthough I do know several people who I thought had cauliflower for brains.
Thanks for the interesting reading share, maybe I'll seek it out, I could use a few good laughs

KrisMrsBBradley said...

This book made me giggle, too!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I have this book and was going to start it this weekend:) Now I guess I'll have to start it today!

Carol J. said...

Hi Annie. My oldest daughter read this and loved it, too! She's an avid "literature" lover, and loved this anyway!

Kim said...

I was wondering if I should read it - now I guess I'll have to. Thanks for the review. It will have to wait until I finish Mists of Avalon though.

Kathy said...

Sounds like I'm stopping by the bookstore on the way home...

Patrice said...

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book -- and I thought P & P & Z might be bad -- but it was great fun! Very clever and really true to the spirit of the original.

Did you know about the next sequel... Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters? Seriously!