Sunday, October 26, 2008

silent sunday

but for the hum of the computer, the house is silent in this sunday morning. i sit here bathed in dancing dust motes, sipping hot coffee, the puppies sprawled in sun puddles, sleeping off breakfast. Beloved has gone to brooklyn, meg and libby are sound asleep. the storm last night battered the leaves off the trees. the branches of the birches outside my window droop, looking like they're glad to be rid of the troublesome weight, and ready for a long winter's rest.

soon i'll go outside and see if there's any damage. the Hag that roared through the skies last night sounded angry enough to bring whole trees down.

i spent some time last night with my friend susan, talking about the class she's asked me to give on blogging. while i am not sure i can claim any particular understanding of the genre, i do enjoy it and have become a most enthusiastic blogger. after all, as Beloved points out, it's just about all i write any more. (that's about to change, but we needn't go into that now.)

blogging is an interesting phenomenon. i find it utterly beguiling. in the next few days i'll be thinking a lot about why.

but first i would like to ask you, gentle readers, if you don't mind... why do you blog? what satisfies you or keeps you coming back - not just to your own blog but to others? what is this thing called blogging, and why do so many of us do it?

and furthermore, the war must end. blessed be.

8 comments:

The Skinny B said...

It is a mystery really. I t is kindof like journaling or writing in a diary but with feedback. I also like reading blogs of people I feel are interesting. It makes me feel connected.

Patti Gibbons said...

blogging is an obsession of mine. I have always enjoyed writing, and the internet has allowed others to join me in my adventures.

I hope that by telling stories others can learn and find a piece of their soul linked with mine in this universe where I believe we are all part of the divine, therefore all part of one another. I learn and am inspired by the creativity and wisdom of others who write.

I think in this world where we are so separate from one another, blogging gives us an ability to keep a finger on other's pulses, and find friends who relate to our journey. I love your blog, and sometimes feel like I am there beside you when you are with the dogs, watching the dust motes dance in front of you. (I attacked mine today to no avail)

xxp

Anonymous said...

I like to read what other people think about, what's important in their lives. It's a chance to check out "life" as somebody else knows it. I have been seriously considering a blog, but it seems overwhelming and I don't know where to start.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Tip of the iceberg ...

I just left this comment for a new blogger who, in her tentative newness to blogging, asked a similar question:

"Thank you for your kind words! I've been blogging since December of 2004 ... and I pretty much blog for me. True, I have an audience, but I'm my own biggest fan. Quite frankly - if I don't love my own blog, no one else will.

So, all I can really say is whatever you put there, let it be from your core, your heart. Whatever that may be!"

I could on, but this is the heart of the nut, methinks.

Ayreonfae said...

I love reading blogs, it makes me feel more connected, to see that "hey, I am not the only one that does (fill in the blank). and alos it makes me feel good to know that there are REAL people out there, and some of them even accomplish things i always dreamed of, and if they can, then so can i. I want to blog more myslef, but I have had writers block since my mother read my journal when iw as a teenager. Thing no longer flow like they once did.

Kim said...

I blog to clear my head, define my emotions for myself, to vent and to clear that negative energy. I read other blogs to gain new perspectives, fresh ideas and to see what my friends are up to.

Kathy said...

I agree with what everyone said about blogging --- creativity, interactivity, self-expression. Iva's comment about her mother reading her journal hit a chord with me.
My journals tend to be angst-ridden whine fests that even I can't read. Since my blog may be read by someone else, I self censor. Not the ideas or even the feelings, but the tripe. It is slightly more disciplined than a journal, more like a letter to a friend.
If you have read my blogs, you may be thinking, "Oh my god, if that's self-censored, I hate to see what she would have whined about."

Unknown said...

LOL kathy you are too funny!! i dont think you whine at all!!! not compared to ME!!! thank you everyone for all your insight and commnets!!! i will be using this in class :)))