Tuesday, May 12, 2009

pain in the neck

my achilles heel is in my neck. the right side of my neck, to be precise, at the juncture where my shoulder meets my neck. its the angle a sword or ax blade might come down and sever a head from a torso, or deliver a mortal blow. more than one past life regression has suggested ive lost my head any number of times in a myriad of similar ways.

so this is a very sensitive region for me... one easily activated and aggravated. sometime late last week i slept in a funny position and woke up with a slight crick. i picked up something heavy - i think it was the 30lb of dog food - or maybe 34 lb baby jake - and further irritated it. now my neck is screaming and im aggravated... just as i was getting a grip on the garden. i've spent the better part of the last two days clutching my ice bag, channeling reiki, rubbing in the st john's wort oil, and taking copious amounts of ibuprofen just in case.

when i was very little, i was prone to suffer an ailment i remember my mother calling "stiff neck." i wasn't able to move my head at all and i would spend hours lying in bed with a heating pad on my neck. i dont remember how i'd get better but just magically my neck would be fine. none of my kids ever suffered in this way and i wonder now what in the world i had then.

and furthermore, the war will end. blessed be.

12 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

Have you tried acupuncture? Several of my friends swear by it. I've got a bum shoulder, and am seriously considering scheduling a procedure.

Unknown said...

wow, you've lost your head several times....that's really interesting.

but pains in the neck are terrible! i do hope you feel better soon!

Laura Rose said...

awh...hope you feel better!

April said...

Sending you lots of get well wishes!

Dina said...

i have had it several times...normally its the levator scapula muscle..one we dubbed darth vader levator in massage school cuz its a really bugger. i had it recently from pulling a muscle in dance class. i saw a massage therapist that specializes in neuromuscular massage and it was gone by the next day. don't suffer, get a "good" massage.

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

I sure hope that your neck feels better soon.

I can't say that I have that problem (mine centers on my lower back - but that was something stupid I did) but when I'm really in pain other than Advil or Aleve, I use hot and cold alternatively which seems to help. Thankfully I haven't had to do this too often lately (hope I didn't just jinx myself).

Feel better.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I am a member of the creaky joint and neck club and SWEAR by Deep Tissue Oil from American Botanical Pharmacy. (very reputable mail order herbal pharmacy I have used for years!) In addition to the St.John's wort, it also has harbernero pepper, arnica, calendula, very effective.

lynette355 said...

oh how i hate that
it is where i hurt them most and most often too
i pray for healing for you
maybe it is time for you to take a day of rest it worked when you was a girl!

lynette355 said...

ok i lost the angel site
help!

Allison said...

I also recommend acupuncture. A few months ago I had back pain/spasms so bad I could barely walk, couldn't turn my head. could barely get out of bed or turn over. After acupuncture treatments I was mobile again. I swear by it. Hope you're feeling better today.

Grace said...

That's bad. I had that before. I hate waking up in the morning with stiff neck. :( I hope you will feel better... use some minty ointment... :)

Kathy said...

Late to the party.. but I used to get the "stiff neck" as a kid. It was as if something had popped out of place, and I couldn't move. I think sometimes it was related to a cold that settled in my neck. Like you, it would just "get better" after a day or two.