Friday, May 29, 2009

five things i've learned from watching wife swap

there's a few reality shows im ashamed to say im addicted to in a sort of peripheral kind of way. im willing to watch almost any episode of wife swap, trading spouses or supernanny.

i immediately understood my fascination with supernanny - i think jo's advice is spot-on in most instances. im sure she's not doing it all herself, but she seems to help a lot of parents and children and that can only be a good thing.

in terms of reality shows of a more competitive nature - i dont really care about competition, but i guess there's enough of the barbarian in me that i still enjoy a good metaphorical trainwreck.

like this evening's episode. the swap involves a cajun woman from louisiana and a ballerina from california, who fancies herself - among other things - as an art afficionado. (i really love that word. it impresses me no end i know how to spell it. i think i know how to spell it. i could be wrong.)

the cajun bride looks put-upon but the ballerina is coming off looking uptight and snooty and worst of all - hypocritical. but really... i can't see how she left the producers any choice. i knew it was all going to go badly for her when she announced - in voiceover - that she and her husband enjoy and appreciate (and i quote) "the finer things in life."

i don't think it was an accident that buddy chose that moment to howl.

so here, in no particular order of importance, are all the things i think i've learned from watching wife swap and trading spouses:

1. NEVER admit on national television - or anywhere in fact - that you enjoy "the finer things in life." we all like the finer things. we all just can't afford them all the time. and after all, people can differ on what they consider "fine:" there's a lot of things like whiskey and fast women - that truly are quite "fine," in their place.

2. envy is a useless emotion. the grass is not greener, anywhere, anyhow, for anyone.

3. openminded and adaptable people are not as much fun to watch as inflexible and neurotic people but are far easier to live with.

4. sometimes when you think you have something to teach, it means you have something to learn.

5. everyone is as crazy as everyone else, but in their own unique ways, and every family can at times appear completely insane when viewed from the outside.

i especially find the last one immensely reassuring.

11 comments:

Divaeva said...

*laughs* I don't watch every episode - but I have caught a few wife swaps - they are quite entertaining, to say the least!
It amazes me what people will do on tv!

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

That show is hysterical!!!
I'm like you, I don't really watch many reality shows. Actually, I don't watch a great deal of television Annie but Wife Swap? Can't resist.......
You are sooooo right...the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. It is actually greenest where we water it the most isn't it? I wish that everyone could just see that.......
Hope you have a weekend full of love, joy and laughter with Beloved my dear :)

Steady On
Reggie Girl

lynette355 said...

That is one of College Girl and my favorite shows. It is so fun to see all the differences. I am glad that I am not the only one who loves these shows.
I would love to be on wife swap but would be dull as dish water I think. I think that I am pretty adaptable to most situations.

Crazee Juls said...

The last one is what gets me through the day... :)

An Open Book said...

Like you Annie- I have a secret passion for wifeswap and trading spouses. I laugh most of the time at the selfishness of some of the women and sefl-centered (spoiled) children. After watching the show I feel my life (no matter how low) is much better.

Debie Napoleon said...

lol..it's really true that no one know what goes on behind closed doors. Charlie Rich had that right!

I am Harriet said...

OMG! Annie! I'm a fellow addict! Can't get enough! I love Jo! And where do they find these families for the swap??? I was so p.o.'d last night when our local station opted for a paid program to preempt my swap. I was so mad!
Watching these shows reassures me that I have done a good job.

Anyway- I snagged this for sited and.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I watch this show, it's like watching a train wreck.

Laura Rose said...

I couldn't bring myself to watch again after they exchanged the witch and the catholic...look out

Bonnie said...

I don't watch any of those shows, I actually don't watch alot of tv, but I do like your pointers at the end of the blog.

Unknown said...

Ohh you forgot the trainwrecks of people who say I am doing this for x or y and you dandgum well it's for MOLA