with a twist.
a few days ago, a cute blog topic caught my eye - a list of ten favorite things all starting with the same random letter, which in her case happened to be R. i asked lynette for a letter of my own.. and she sent me J.
a J - i pondered. what on earth did i like that begins with J? it's taken me a few days to come up with this list...:
1. Jumping in puddles. i like to jump in puddles because now that i am grownup, no one tells me i can't. it also means i am most likely wearing my red boots:
which are, quite possibly, one of my most favorite things in the world.
2, 3 & 4. my son Jamie and my brother John. they are cute and smart and sweet. helpful, too. what more would anyone want in a man? then of course, there's my grandson, Baby Jake. he's cute and smart and sweet, too, and maybe not so much helpful yet as agreeable. again, an excellent quality in a man.
5. jabberwocky, by lewis carroll... that's the one that starts... twas brillig and the slimy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome wraths outgrabe. i love quoting it. lines of it spring unbidden in my head at moments both opportune and otherwise. no wonder my kids think im crazy.
6. the jacobites... thats the stuarts and bonnie prince charlie, boggy moors, lost causes and mournful scottish laments. i love all that stuff.
7. james - as in King James and his version of the Bible. i love the sonorous, soulful phrases.. come to think of it, i like to quote it, too. and jezebel, job and jesus are three of my favorite characters in it.
8. johnny-jump-ups and jonquils... i love these wild pansies...with their bright little faces and exuberant greens, and their tendency to spring up in expected places, they speak to me of hope. and jonquils - though i prefer to call them daffodils - always bloom around my birthday.
9. the joker as played by heath ledger in his tour de force performance. not only was this a heartbreakingly human portrayal of a heretofore cartoon character, ledger's joker had a lot to say about the role we allot chaos in our culture.
10. the novels of jane austen. she had an accurate eye, a piercing pen. i wish she'd left us more.
and furthermore, the war must end. blessed be.