Tuesday, February 24, 2009

fat tuesday

i'm planning to follow yesterday's frenzy of domestic activity by a much more self-indulgent morning - a physical therapy session and then a walk at a reservoir. winter's clinging in the air, but the light's gold, tinged with ever-growing warmth. the sky was infused with acquamarine when i walked the puppies today.

today's the second walk in as many days. last week i heard the Angels say, quite pointedly: annie, you need to be walked...not walk, mind... but to be walked. like a puppy? i wondered. like a baby, They replied.

the implications of an Angelic Order to allow myself to be treated like a baby seem to defy my ability to wrap my mind around it all. especially on fat tuesday.

baby jake's coming this afternoon... in time to nap. i'm thinking i'll get more laundry, and zone 1 (the entry hall and laundry room) done today, and libby's insisting she needs Stuff for lunches, which means yet a third trip to the grocery store in five days. the check-out ladies and stock-boys are starting to recognize baby jake - and what seems worse, he seems to be starting to recognize THEM.

and furthermore, the war WILL end. blessed be.

15 comments:

Dina said...

every cashier in my grocery store knows casey by name and they are always giving him pennies for the horsey.....i don't spend too muchtime in the grocery store now do i?

jennifersusan said...

Happy Mardi Gras! I think my grocery store people may know who I am by my children. If I do make it to the store without my kids they always seem to ask me where they all are.
Have a happy day!

Crazee Juls said...

I feel like I need to be walked, rough week, and it's only Tuesday...

April said...

Oh, boy...Baby Jake comes back for another visit today! How do you manage to get anything done when he's around? I'd be such a pushover!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

You are a domestic force of nature. I took some time to read through your old posts this morning in addition to this one. Five loads of laundry, oh my!

I also loved how you divided your house into different zones for cleaning. Super funny. If you don't mind, I think I will adopt this same terminology. I have a sneaking suspicion that my husband will embrace it wholeheartedly.

-Wenda

penguinsandladybugs said...

I like that....I think I need to be walked :)

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Happy Mardi Gras Day! My Angels are telling me I need to hike and start my resistance training again, hit the heavy bags.
Hmm, when I think of being treated like a baby, I think of being cared for, letting go the mantle of our roles for a little while. I'm curious what it will mean to you. Goddess Bless.

TuTu's Bliss said...

I think I need to BE walked too. This post reminds me of a game my daughter and I play. I get to be the baby and she's the mom. It is so much fun to let her be the boss and just relax, I make baby demands and follow her lead.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I love your Angels gentle nudging at "being walked"! How sweet! They love us so much:) Thanks for reminding me to take some time for quiet to listen to my Angels today!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Oh MY GOODNESS! I am visiting you while you are visiting me! Serendipity at work!

Kathy said...

I just love shopping with babies...

Happy Mardi Gras!

Lucia said...

I love the idea of being to be walked too. Something very comforting in that. hope it was a good one.

Grand Pooba said...

Looks like Wenda loves you too!

lynette355 said...

We would expect the world to know the ever famous Baby Jake. He is the light of your life so we know he shines to all around him.

Kim said...

I only hit the grocery store every two weeks and they know me - I'm the one with the tote boxes instead of bags. Week one the kids get sandwich meat in their lunches - week two they get whatever I make them. Today was salmon.