Saturday, February 7, 2009

lying low

since wednesday, i've been fighting a bug, courtesy of that - in rose's words - sweet little petri dish we call baby jake. it's not a very big bug, or a very nasty bug, but it's an insidious bug. it's one of those bugs that lets you think you're perfectly fine until you get up off the couch to do something Useful.

consequently, i don't feel i've accomplished much of anything at all this week - at least not compared to what i wanted to get done. but then, i have to ask myself, when do i ever?

there are times of year when i have no problem being sick and giving into a good wallow wrapped in quilts. right after the holidays, for example, or after any extraordinary run of accomplishment - like finishing a novel, or mucking out the attic.

but this weekend, temperatures are predicted to rise into the forties, a veritable heat wave for a new england february. the light is getting stronger, the sun rises before seven, and sets after five. ten full hours of daylight, and i can feel the spring beginning to stir deep in my bones.

the tarot card i drew today was the Queen of Pentacles - the queen of hearth and home. today, i think, will be a good day to focus some of this restlessness into planning for the weeks ahead.

and furthermore, the war WILL end. blessed be.

22 comments:

Laura Rose said...

I have the same thing. It cycles or something. I feel okay and then 3 min later...whamo! :(

lynette355 said...

So sorry that illness is visiting there. But you make such a nice place to hang out you can't blame the lil buggers.

Wish I could bundle you up on my front porch with a glass of cool ice tea and a light blanket as you bask in our 70 degree days.

Kim said...

Gotta love the way Rose puts things. I feel the light stirring in my blood and urging me forward. Hope you feel better soon.

Summer said...

This is a rough season. Snuggle up and rest...it's the cure for everything!

Granny Annie said...

There is no other way to say it -- grandchildren are petri dishes!

T.M. Curzon-Manners said...

We are freezing our socks off over here in the UK so the idea of chilling in 40 degrees sounds rather wonderful. Feeling unwell however, does not so I prescribe lots of hot tea and feet up with good book.

Mindy said...

Oh spring fever... I know it well!

I hope you are feeling better soon...

I am Harriet said...

Annie-
You are too funny.
I loved the comment you left for me. :)

Kath said...

Diva Eva is my dear friend and i found out about your blog from her post on Daily Dose of Diva. Nice blog with an interesting spin on things. I'll be back!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Enjoy the heat wave. I hope you feel better soon.

April said...

I've heard so many people complaining of the same sort of thing...it's been terrible! Hope you start feeling better real soon...take good care!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that a bug has taken up residence. I'm sure Baby Jake didn't mean it!

I too have been particularly aware of the sunnier, lengthening days, and the temperature hitting 40 has seemed like Florida.

Tomorrow they say 55! I'll believe it when I feel it.

What a chilly, snowy winter. I haven't had a cold to really notice this season. Lucky! Knock on wood, or angel's halos, or ...

Kristina said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. I hate when I get that!

Kristin said...

I hope you are better soon. Kid germs make us feel sicker then adult germs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Shades of Scorpio said...

Feel much better!!!! Your blog ... I've already commented on it but wow is it beautiful!

Carolyn G said...

Just get plenty of rest!!! And tons of sleep. Feel better!

Divaeva said...

UGH! Get well! Drink lots of warm tea and get lots of rest! <3

jennifersusan said...

I have days when I just want to curl up and neglect the world, and days when I don't want to but do anyway.
Hope you feel better soon!

Grace said...

Thanks for this information, Annie. It is an eye-opener to me. On my part, I only eat twice a day, 10 a.ma and 5 p.m. I just don't get hungry in between, or maybe too busy to feel that I was hungry.
Get some rest, Annie.

ikkinlala said...

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Emmett McCarty Cullen said...

I hope you are feeling better now. My little one was down with a bug last week and it was no fun.

Have a great week!

Stacy Uncorked said...

I hope you're feeling better soon! Don't you just love the little petri dishes? ;)