Wednesday, June 17, 2009

the power of a letter

i've been in a letter-writing mood the past week or so, which can be either a very good thing or a very bad thing depending on what kind of letter i write. i don't write many letters - my emails, even to close friends, tend to be pithy to the point of terse. mostly when i write someone a letter its to tell them one of two things - how much i love them or how deeply i'm upset with them.

last week i had to write one kind of letter. today i wrote the other. for my father's fiftieth father's day, i sent him a letter to tell him what a truly great father he'd been, how lucky i am, and how blessed.

because another thing i've learned in the last few weeks is that there's a world of difference between people who've had a good daddy... and those who didn't.

and furthermore, the war will end. blessed be.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

amen to that! not having a good dad affects a person all of their days.

you are lucky and blessed to have a great father. :-)

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I am working on a letter to my dear Dad too, also a batch of brownies w/nuts which are his favorite.
I am the Queen of Succinct also, love to pack as much meaning in as few words as possible.

Crazee Juls said...

So true. Thank you for your kind words...it means a lot right now to know that I am in other's thoughts. :)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Funny ... this ... I'm writing a letter to my dad as well, as I've been doing every June for a while now. Those of us with great daddies are truly blessed.

Funny ... too ... how I can miss mine so much, even as he is forever with me.

Happy Daddy's Day to all the "good" daddies out there!

Kim said...

Happy father's day to all the good daddy's out there. I might just write a letter to my Dad as well besides make his favorite blackberry pie.