Friday, January 16, 2009

freakin' cold friday

the car thermometer read minus 2 when i went to run libby up the hill to the bus, and even sam doesn't want to hang around outside and sniff poop. she beats buddy to the door - though that's mostly because buddy is leashed and can only go as fast as i can. the reason i allow sam to go out unleashed in this kind of weather is because i can't manage both dogs on the ice and sam has marginally more sense. not much more... she's a beagle and led by her nose... but marginally more.

it's the kind of weather that makes me wonder what on earth the pilgrims were thinking when they decided to create their brave new world here. didn't it occur to them to go south? call me a weenie but i don't know how you survive this kind of weather without either a lot of dogs or central heat.

my gum and jaw don't hurt too badly and when i looked for the gaping wide hole in my mouth, it doesn't seem to be there. it was hard to sleep last night, not just because the tooth was in the side i like to sleep on, but because the moon was shining through my window as brightly as if it thought it was still full. it was nice having Beloved to cuddle with every time i woke up. i decided not to take the vicodin...especially since a friend of mine had to have her liver biopsied after using vicodin. since the pain wasn't unbearable, i decided to deal with it by reiking it and icing it and distracting myself by cuddling with Beloved, rather than subjecting my liver to any additional abuse.

thank you so much to everyone who sent me good wishes and happy thoughts. i think they worked :). i'm looking forward to recuperating today. i have a pork roast for tonight and maybe i'll make bread pudding for dessert.

and furthermore, the war must end. blessed be.

8 comments:

lynette355 said...

I love bread pudding.
And also loved cuddling with my own beloved last night!
Oh and sleeping with 5 dogs and 2 cats?

Laura Rose said...

Amen, sister, it's freakin' cold all right!!!! I'm glad you're doing well!

Barely Domestic Mama said...

Minus two!? That is wayyyyy too cold for me.

I think I missed the post on what is going on with the pain in your mouth. I'm going to have to catch up this weekend. Hope you feel better soon!

Kim said...

I'm glad the tooth pulling went well and you had Beloved to cuddle.

Anonymous said...

Congrats for making it through... aren't these what they call "three dog nights"?

My daughter calls me from Los Angeles and complains that it's too hot! Brrrr...

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I have weather amnesia, I have lived in warm weather too long. Brrr, it sounds brutally cold there. Re.liver failure and Vicodin, it's the acetaminophen, not the synthetic codeine that is so tough on livers. I'm glad you are on the mend. I remembered another "past life", I definitely was a healer, a medicine man, or a shaman previously.

The Skinny B said...

It is cold. Nice to stay inside and cuddle in. Martha is right that Vicodin is oly bad on the liver in to large doses. On or two to help you through is ok. Glad it went well.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I'm behind on checking in ... and I trust you're feeling better now ... but still mending, I'm sure ... so I'm sending you some "good stuff" to help you along current healing path.