Thursday, January 22, 2009

january thaw

most years that i can remember, late in january, the air softens, the sun seems to shine with a promise of summer's strength. one year, when i was 13, the temperature went into the 70's. i remember running around in a pink gingham dress, my arms and legs skinny and white as cotton thread. it won't last, warned my mother, and it didn't, but for one glorious day that january, summer made a guest appearance.

today and tomorrow are predicted to be near forty... a veritable heat wave in new england. i don't plan to prance around in pink gingham but it will be nice not to feel that icy slap every time i open the door.

today's a designated writing day and im still muddling through the middle. at this point it feels like i have a lot of lumpy clay in front of me and im trying to find the pieta - or whatever it is - inside it. its mushy and its oozy and just because there's a lot of it doesn't make it completely easy to deal with. it's nice to have so much text to work with on the one hand, but on the other, it's sloppy and unwieldy and i feel like ive got mud splashing and dripping everywhere.

i'm collecting items for my basket of goodies for my giveaway - it's amazing how alike everyone thinks when it comes to surviving winter! i can safely say that everyone who commented on what they feel they need named at least one item i'm plannig to include!! so leave me some comment-love for an entry... and if you post my button on your blog, you get TWO entries... (i'll be posting buttons after my blog redesign...please don't think i won't reciprocate!)

and furthermore, the war will end. blessed be.

14 comments:

April said...

Oh, I love giveaways...can't wait! I'm off for some hot cocoa...it's 25 degrees outside and I'm chilled to the bone! Try to stay warm!

Bonnie said...

Here I am complaining it's in the 30's. No snow although some was predicted for Tuesday night. And yes I live in Central Florida. I know what you mean about the bright sunshine and warm days in January. I remember them even though I haven't lived in New England in 30 years. I have to tell you that I absolutely love your blog and I'm so glad I found it.

Bonnie said...

PS. I added your button to my blog anyways. I put your name with it so people wouldn't be confused about the other Granny Annie.

Laura Rose said...

I believe, I believe...even though I had to crank up the heat this morning to take the chill out of the house!!

sarah said...

The image of you dancing around in a pink gingham dress made me smile.

The weather seems to be warmer here too, which is very good news. One year I got sunburnt in February roaming around on the cliffs. Unheard of in England!! (sometimes even during the summer!)

Hope you're middles coming along well. I've been working on our book this week and having reached much the same stage, have had to go back and do something with an uruly character lol.

sunny days,

Sarah).

Kim said...

At 14.6 degrees at the bus stop this morning I look forward to 40 degree weather and a nice long nap.

Kim said...

I did it - I have your button on my page. Yeah!

lynette355 said...

you know I have your button. put warm socks in there. how about those gloves where your lil fingers stick out. of course dont know how warm those would be but conducive to typing.

Barely Domestic Mama said...

Good luck getting your writing done.

A basket of goodies to survive winter sounds awesome.

I grabbed your new button - it's on my sidebar. Love it!

Dina said...

oh how i hope i win your giveaway..btw it has been 70 all week in denver. a little tease..but it won't last.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I have alot of posts to catch up, dear Annie. Thanks for reminding me about the button.

lynette355 said...

I just had to share that it is 84 degrees here in Texas today. I am wearing my shorts, t and CASHMERE SOCKS.

Nessa said...

As Lynette said, it was quite warm here in the lone star state yesterday. As my DH and I drove past the bank on the way home the temp said 88! I couldn't believe it! It was a beautiful day!

The Skinny B said...

I felt it today and thought of the gingham but went with a sweatshirt instead.